Monday, May 12, 2014

Zinnias & Gerbera Daisies

Another flowering plant that has done well for me this spring is the hanging basket of Zinnias.  They're so bright and colorful, having several shades of oranges, pink, yellow and green.  These annuals really stand out among others and I'll enjoy them all summer because they'll bloom until first frost.


Zinnias are one of the easiest annuals to grow, grow quickly, and bloom heavily. They make a massive burst of color in your garden.  Zinnias have bright, solitary, daisy-like flowerheads on a single, erect stem. The most common zinnia is "dahlia-flowered" and grows up to three feet. Other types are "cactus-flowered."


Gerbera daisies are so perfect they hardly look real. They bloom in nearly every color (except true blues and purples) and produce fantastically large flowers on long, thick, sturdy stems. They last for a week or more in the vase, making them a favorite of flower arrangers.  This tender perennial will last the winter in only the warmest parts of the country, Zones 9-11. In the rest of the country, it is grown as an annual. 

I love how the Gerbera daisies capture sunlight on their petals, illuminating the flower against the darker backdrop.  They are gorgeous!  I've really enjoyed watching these beautiful flowers bloom.  Loving all my flowers this season!   :) 


2 comments:

  1. gerbera flowers are very beautiful
    best gift for your loved once
    beautiful varieties of gerbera

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is most probably the best article that I have read about growing Gerbera daisies from seeds. I have grown about ten Gerbera daisies from seeds this year but that was pure luck. I am sure that I will be more successful by following the above instructions. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete