Friday, May 23, 2014

Northern Mockingbirds: News From the Nest

I've learned there are 2 pairs of Northern Mockingbirds who have set up housekeeping in our yard.  There are nestlings in a tree in the front yard next to the wooden fence besides the nestlings in the Sweet Olive tree in our back yard (next to our bathroom window).  The nest in the front yard tree is out of reach for me.  I hear the babies often during the day when their parents approach the nest.  I will see them soon enough as they fledge.  

Meanwhile, the nestlings in the back yard tree are growing so fast.  It's amazing how quickly nestlings become fledglings- in a matter of about 2 weeks!  That just astounds me because these baby birds are born naked, blind and helpless.  Within 2 weeks they are ready to leave the nest!  Sometimes Dad Mockingbird watches over the fledglings while Mom Mockingbird incubates a new brood.   Northern Mockingbirds usually average 2 to 3 broods a year.  


I doubt that the Mockingbird couple in our back yard will use the same nest for the next brood, now that they're aware of the nosy people who reside on the other side of the bathroom window ;)  I can't resist :)))

Updates to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment