Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mandevilla & Bougainvillea

I purchased this pink Mandevilla as a small potted plant at Lowe's.  I transferred it into a pretty, large brown pot and placed it near the shade tree in our front yard.  It is growing beautifully and requires very little maintenance.  As the blooms age, their pink hues darken so there are varying shades of pink throughout the vines.  As it grows, I will provide a small trellis to support it.  I plan to overwinter it indoors when cold weather returns.  Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy this plant for many years to come.  


Weeks later, I spotted this gorgeous ruby red Mandevilla at a garden store.  It was probably one of the prettiest plants there.  I love the deep red, velvety look of the flowers, very attractive.  I placed it against a post on my front porch so that it gets part sun during the day.  I plan to transplant it into one of those nice, tall planters and overwinter it as well.  


I had a beautiful pink Bougainvillea a couple years ago but it didn't last long.  I don't know what I did wrong but its leaves shriveled up and fell off and all that was left was a few dried out wooden vines.  When I saw this golden yellow Bougainvillea I fell in love with it.  It's so bright and beautiful with varying shades of yellow to gold, tan and light brown- it reminds me of Autumn.  


The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, 
the human soul is apt to revive also. ~ Harriet Ann Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment