Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Beautiful Fuchsia

I knew little about Fuchsia plants until a few weeks ago.   I became interested when I read that these beautiful blooms attract hummingbirds.  Of course, I had to have one, since my outdoor goal is to attract more birds during the summer, especially hummers. On my next trip to Lowe's, I purchased a hanging basket of bright nectar and deep purple Fuchsia.  Too bad the plant label didn't have the name of this particular variety of Fuchsia.  I compared images in Google, but there are tons of different varieties, so I'm left with an uneducated guess.  


The information about the attraction between hummingbirds and Fuchsia proved correct...Mr. Bully came to investigate shortly after the colorful basket of blooms was placed on the front porch.  It seems to be one of his favorites thus far. 


A couple days ago, I added a second hanging basket of Fuchsia with pink and white blooms.  I hope the beauties survive the heat and humidity here.  So far, so good...but it's only the beginning of May. Soon the outdoor temperatures will soar close to or slightly above 100 degrees.  I've read that it's possible to keep them indoors, near a well lit window so I may have to eventually bring it indoors.  However, that would be defeating my purpose for buying them in the first place.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they fair well.


No comments:

Post a Comment