Thursday, May 8, 2014

Blue & Yellow Columbine

Columbine blooms are commonly seen on rocky ledges, forest edges and shady meadows. There are over 65 species of Columbine ranging in height from 1 to 3 feet. According to what I've read, these plants are low maintenance once they are established.  I purchased two Columbines- blue and yellow. The main reason I purchased them is because they supposedly attract hummingbirds, and secondly because of their attractive and unique blooms.  The Blue Columbine is the state flower of Colorado and is protected there. It's a real beauty, no doubt.  


When I bought them, I was under the impression that these plants bloom from spring through summer. However, I've since learned that Columbine blooms in early spring and the blooms last from 6 to 8 weeks. A second bloom can be enticed by deadheading the stems after the first bloom.  After only a couple weeks, my plants have lost nearly all their blooms.  I plan to deadhead them tomorrow then I'll wait for their second bloom.  



Hopefully, I'll have new blooms soon and they'll last a while longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment