Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds: First Sightings This Season

I spotted our first Ruby-Throated Hummingbird of this year on March 16th as he flew around shrubs lining the walkway into our home.   I immediately placed 2 hummingbird feeders on our front porch.  A couple of days passed and I didn't see him, so I was getting a little worried that I had missed the opportunity to gain him as a summer resident.  My worry was wasted...days later there were 3 little hummers at the feeder. Yes! After a couple more days there were 7...then 10...then 12!  I've never had that many hummers before.  It has been an adventure watching them- buzzing at the flowers and the feeders, fiercely chasing one another away from the feeders and jetting by so close to me that it made my head spin.   To be so tiny, they are so bold.

I've managed to capture several photos (of course) of my new feathered friends, though it's really difficult to shoot them in motion.  That makes sense knowing that their little wings beat at a speed of 53 times a second! These tiny creatures truly are fascinating...


More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment