Sunday, January 26, 2014

Winter Sunshine

The icy rain fell for hours yesterday and last night, bringing a deep chill to all in its path. Temperatures dropped well below freezing and several counties had snow.  I would have liked to have a little snow, just for a short time, but it passed us by without leaving even a few small snowflakes.  However, it's still early winter, so chances are good that we'll have a little snow before April.  


The weather is so strange and unpredictable. We experienced a beautiful sunny day after the chilling rain we had earlier. Today the temperature reached about 60 degrees, still somewhat chilly, but tolerable. I spent a great portion of the afternoon outdoors, soaking in the sunshine while feeling at peace in my surroundings.


Sitting in my lawn chair in the wide open space, I sipped on coffee while daydreaming about being retired and having the freedom to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. For a moment, I coveted the freedom of birds...then I realized that they are confined to a degree- they must always be aware of their surroundings and potential predators. Who, or what, is completely free? We are all shackled in some way or another, whether it's because of worries, family troubles, financial problems or other reasons; none of us are completely free.

I quickly swept away those daydreams and remembered the reasons I am grateful for today...
          warmth and light given by the sun
                    water droplets glistening like diamonds on trees
                                leaves blowing in the gentle breeze
                                           pleasant songs from nearby birds
                                                        hearing bursts of laughter from Coby as he plays


For today, life is good.


I'm learning to embrace the good things in life and let go of the negative things.  I'm learning that it's okay to relax sometimes...sit outdoors in the sunshine, watch the birds, take an unplanned trip to anywhere or nowhere, or do absolutely nothing useful. 


The frail leaves gave in to the weight of icy water during the night and still they glisten. After the rain has cleared, they will perk up again..but only for a short time. Their days are numbered and their season of glory has come to an end; they will soon break free from that which constrains them. 

Embrace the good moments in life. Take an occasional break. Relax. Enjoy the winter sunshine and the summer rain. :))))



No comments:

Post a Comment