Thursday, January 23, 2014

American Goldfinch: Winter Photo Group #1


“Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure.” ~ Stephen King


Tuesday morning was beautiful.  I was awake by seven-thirty and had a pot of coffee brewing soon after.   While sipping on our coffee, Ryan and I set up my camera and tripod on the front porch.  With camera remote in hand, I sat in the living room and waited.  The birds would arrive for breakfast soon...

By eight o'clock, they began their winter morning ritual- flying back and forth from the large tree near the front porch to the feeder and/or wooden hand rails and back to the tree.  They were spooked a couple times and disappeared, but returned within a few minutes.  

It was quite windy that morning and at times the feeder rocked gently, but the birds didn't mind.  They continued their meal as usual.  For about thirty minutes or so, there was a large crowd of them flocking around the feeder and fence posts.  I captured numerous photos using my remote...click, click, click, one after another and another.  I was afraid the sound would frighten them, but they didn't seem to pay attention to it.  


I think the photos turned out pretty good, considering that I have limited photography experience and inexpensive camera lenses.  More importantly, I enjoyed the photo shooting adventure ;)  As I've said many times before, my second career choice would have been professional photography. 



Enjoy :))))


No comments:

Post a Comment