Friday, July 11, 2014

Million Bells & Petunias

Through trial and error, my thumb has become a few shades greener over the years.  At least I don't kill all my plants now- only an occasional one that becomes intolerable of our intensive summer heat.  I purchased a couple this year with tags that stated "heat and/or drought tolerant" and they already appear to have suffered a heat stroke!  And it's still early July!  You can bet I'm taking notes so I'll know which ones to avoid for next summer.  

Some of my favorites so far this year have been the Million Bells, or Calibrachoa, and Petunias. They are thriving, even after being in my care for a couple of months now!  :) These plants were small when purchased, and now they are spilling out of the containers and trailing down the sides.  The colorful beauties make a welcoming addition to our front entrance and several visitors have complimented them. Million Bells, which resemble small petunias, come in several colors- violet, blue, pink, red, magenta, yellow, bronze and white.  They look great arranged in groups of a single color or blended using 2 or 3 shades together. The bumble bees certainly enjoyed them during early spring.  


The Petunias that I planted in late April grew super fast- the photos below were shot six weeks apart. Petunias are prettylow maintenance and tolerate the heat fairly well...definitely my type of bloom :)  


When I saw this hanging basket of purple flowers with lime green borders in the garden center, I knew it would be coming home with me.  I knew the flowers were Petunias, but I had never seen this species before. I loved the color combination and the prolific blooms!  About 3 feet in diameter when I purchased it, the plant covered much of my trunk space.


A brief research online informed me that they are Pretty Much Picasso Supertunia, a vigorous growing Petunia hybrid which trails up to 3 feet.  In only two months, the blooms had already trailed just over 3 feet from the center- a beautiful plant which sits so perfectly on the wooden rail of our front porch!

It's a little too early to add these lovely plants to my "I Survived Summer With Susan" list, but it's looking hopeful ;)  We'll see if they continue to thrive through the blazing heat of August...


7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan. Thanks for your follow too.

    Your petunias seem to be in a very, very healthy state with a beautiful mix of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil...and you're welcome for the follow. Have a great finish to your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Your thumb looks VERY green to me! The bells and petunias are thriving. I'm especially taken with the
    Picasso Supertunia. The green edges on the flower and trailing blooms are glorious. Love the busy bees too. The flowers around your home are stunning to say the least. Beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I'm pretty happy with the Petunias and Million Bells :) They've done so well thus far.

      Delete
  3. Your hanging baskets of Petunias are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW, your flowers and images of them, are especially beautiful!! i have not always had good luck with petunias. usually during the second half of the summer, they become "leggy", the underneath part always dies and the plants look half dead. i don't usually buy them anymore but i know a haircut around august first usually helps with that. i must admit that it is hard to cut off half of the new growth!!

    i do think their health or lack there of, also depends on the variety. the colors you selected are just gorgeous and so far, everything looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete