Saturday, March 22, 2014

Northern Mockingbird: Sweet Musical Birds of Night

Since writing my first post on Northern Mockingbirds on February 7th, I've taken opportunities to watch them more closely and I've grown quite fond of these feathered creatures.   Mockingbirds frequent our feeders daily now, but they come and go quickly. While sitting outdoors, I usually spot them in the upper tree branches near the forest edges.  These birds are bold and seriously territorial.  Several days ago, I watched as a Mockingbird constantly harassed some Cedar Waxwings while they fed on berries.  He squawked and boldly spread his flight feathers in an aggressive stance.  The Waxwings didn't give him the time of day...they continued with their feast despite the Mockingbird's objection.  This went on until the Waxwings decided to move elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see how much more they react to visitors when their nests are full of babies.  

I love to hear the songs of a Mockingbird...absolutely beautiful!  I heard one singing about 2:00 the other morning...a continuous melody of various tunes.  I could have sat outdoors for hours listening to him ;)  


“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” 
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment