Monday, October 10, 2016

St. Catherine Creek NWR

Charlie and I got away for a short trip last Saturday to St. Catherine Creek National Wildlife Refuge near Natchez, Mississippi.  The refuge is located on 25,000 acres which provide essential habitats for various species of birds.  It is a designated "Important Bird Area" by the National Audubon Society. Bounded by the Mississippi River and loess bluffs, birds are drawn to the area as they follow the river and bluffs during migration or in search of a suitable habitat.


We had a brief but wonderful visit to the refuge.  The weather was near perfect with plenty of sunshine and an occasional breeze.  There were plenty of photo opportunities and I took more than my fair share of them.  We observed scores of butterflies and dragonflies in the open fields but I didn't get but a few photos of them because they were constantly on the move. 


The autumn colors were gorgeous, especially in the open fields of wildflowers. I intend to share some of the better wildlife photos in upcoming posts.  I hope you'll enjoy them.  Have a great week!

1 comment: