Wednesday, February 12, 2014

White-Throated Sparrow

I adore the beautiful things of our earthly home.  Mountains, forests, lakes, the moon, flowers...and birds. I see them all as gifts.   Thank you, God for the wonderful creations you have given us to enjoy!

Just look at the natural beauty of this White-throated Sparrow...


The White-throated Sparrow breeds mostly in Canada but during winter they are known to migrate into the United States.  What I find interesting about them is that the White-throated Sparrow comes in two color forms: white-crowned and tan-crowned. The two forms are genetically determined, and they persist because individuals almost always mate with a bird of the opposite morph. Males of both color types prefer females with white stripes, but both kinds of females prefer tan-striped males. White-striped birds are more aggressive than tan-striped ones, and white-striped females may be able to outcompete their tan-striped sisters for tan-striped males.

Too bad they're not that common in my neck of the woods.  I had the fortune of watching this one for a little while as he nibbled on a few seeds near my front porch.  I was able to capture a few images of him on my digital camera.  That was the first, and last, time I've seen this species of Sparrow in my yard.   How unfortunate because he is such a beauty!  These birds have a pleasant song as well...




Video by The Music of Nature on YouTube



No comments:

Post a Comment